DUNEDIN, Fla. — Toronto is expected to announce its final roster at some point on Tuesday. The Blue Jays still have to publicly choose a closer, a fourth outfielder and the final two spots in the bullpen.
Blue Jays manager John Gibbons is scheduled to meet with general manager Ross Atkins and the rest of Toronto’s front office on Monday night to discuss his club’s final roster decisions.
The first wave of roster decisions came Monday morning when the club named right-handerAaron Sanchez to the rotation prior to the Blue Jays’ 2-1 win over the Phillies. As part of the move, Drew Hutchison was optioned to Triple-A Buffalo, and Gavin Floyd will begin the year in the bullpen.
“I don’t think he needs to work on anything, just be consistent and pitch well,” Gibbons said of Hutchison. “He’s going play a big part this year, that’s my gut feeling. You never go through a season — although we were pretty fortunate last year — you never go through a season with five or six guys, you always need more. He could turn out to be the key guy this year.”
Floyd will begin the year in a middle-relief role. He also joins Hutchison and right-hander Jesse Chavez as a candidate to start later in the year when the need arises. Floyd was one of the surprise storylines this spring, as he posted a 2.19 ERA to push Sanchez every step of the way for a starting job.
“He has been a starter his whole career, basically, except last year when he was bouncing back, but he is a pro,” Gibbons said. “He’s glad he’s going to be on the team, and who knows? He could end up being a starter for us, too, before the season is over.”
Toronto’s closer will either be veteran Drew Storen or Roberto Osuna. The fourth outfielder will be Ezequiel Carrera, Junior Lake or Darrell Ceciliani. The final two spots in the bullpen will be chosen from a large group of candidates that includes: Randy Choate, Pat Venditte,Arnold Leon, Joe Biagini, Steve Delabar and Ryan Tepera.