The West Hollywood man who admitted to vandalizing President-elect Donald Trump’s Hollywood star has been charged with felony vandalism, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said Thursday.
James Lambert Otis, 52, made headlines on Oct. 26 after video of him taking a pick-axe to the star went viral.
A felony complaint filed by the D.A.’s office alleges Otis “did unlawfully and maliciously damage and destroy” property belonging to the city of Los Angeles and the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce in an amount exceeding $400. If convicted as charged, he faces up to three years in jail.
The day after the star was defaced, Otis was taken into custody by Los Angeles police on suspicion of felony vandalism. A short time later, he was released after posting $20,000 bail.
Otis, who flips houses for a living, announced the next week that he planned to sue Trump and the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce to have the star removed.
Otis cited the circus-like atmosphere surrounding the star, which became the focal point of scuffles and near-daily protests up until the Nov. 8 election.
“It’s costing the city money,” he said about the efforts to remove profanity, swastikas and stickers that people continued to put on the newly repaired star.
Asked last month what prompted him to vandalize the star and remove Trump’s name, Otis told the Daily News, “The reason why I took the star was to auction it on Election Day, and raise as much money as I can for the women who have been exploited by Mr. Trump.”
Otis said at the time he hoped his punishment would be “fair.”
He’s due in court tomorrow.
dailynews.com | Photo: Scoopnest.com
We will update you on the outcome of his court date. Please comment below and share ~ Dusty Fields SMM