Couple, thought to be in their 60s, were in Mexico to attend their daughter’s wedding and died in whirlpool spa, authorities say.
PLAYA DEL CARMEN, MEXICO—A Canadian couple has been found dead at a hotel near the Mexican resort city of Playa de Carmen, where they were to attend their daughter’s wedding.
An official from the prosecutor’s office in the state of Quintana Roo said the bodies of the man and the woman were found in a whirlpool spa on Monday and showed no signs of violence.
The official, who wouldn’t give her name as she wasn’t authorized to speak publicly about the case, said autopsies have indicated that the man died of a heart attack and the woman died of asphyxia by submersion.
She said the couple’s deaths appeared to be accidental and linked, suggesting the man’s heart attack may have somehow caused the woman to drown.
The victims’ names or hometowns have not been released. Local media reports said the couple was thought to be in their 60s.
A spokesman for the Playacar Palace hotel, where the couple was staying, said the deaths are still under investigation.
David Rubeo dismissed any reports, however, that the couple had been electrocuted in the hot tub of their room.
“The room was perfectly fine. All the equipments were working perfectly,” he told The Canadian Press. “What the family mentioned was a heart attack.”
Rubeo said the couple’s family was still staying at the hotel and was being assisted by hotel staff.
“We are treating them as our own family,” he said, noting that staff was helping the Canadians deal with local authorities.
“All the group is very calm, in the best way they can be.”
A spokesman with the Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed the deaths of two Canadians and said consular officials were helping the couple’s family and friends.
“Canadian consular officials in Playa del Carmen, Mexico are in contact with local authorities to gather additional information,” said Francois Lasalle.