Jiggs Dinner with Pease Pudding – Newfoundland Scoff Recipe Share from Halina.
The Jiggs dinner is another reason our family loves Autumn and Winter months. This recipe brings warmth and a lovely aroma to your home. Don’t pass it by.
From the recipe book, Another Newfoundland Scoff by Dale Wilson.
Scoff noun [associated with food]; usually a meal served in the evening as part of a party; often prepared with (stolen) ingredients from a neighbor’s garden –such as cabbage for a Jiggs Dinner
Preparation Time – 30 minutes
Soaking Time – Overnight
Cooking Time 3 hours
Makes 4-6 servings
Jiggs Dinner with Pease Pudding
3 LBS Salt beef
1 Medium head of cabbage cut into wedges
5 or 6 Carrots
3 or 4 Parsnips
6 or 8 Potatoes, halved
2 Medium turnip, sliced
4 Small Onion.
Pease Pudding – 1 1/2 cups dried yellow split peas
- Soak salt beef and peas separately in water overnight
- Drain meat, rinse with clean water and place in a large pot. Cover with fresh water
- Drain peas and place in a cloth pudding bag and tie. Put bag in pot with beef. Cover pot.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 2 hours
- Peel and prepare vegetables
- Place vegetables in pot and cook until tender.
Suggest Substitute: Beef brisket makes an acceptable substitute to salt beef.