Blunt Betty’s Parenting Tips of the Day
1) Take care of your body and mind. You only have one
2) Never waste your feelings on someone who does not value yours . You are of value and make sure you live that and give value to others. Never give more worth to another than you give to yourself.
3) You were not put on this earth for another person’s purpose or agenda
4) Know the difference between heartbreak for a person versus heartache over the loss of what you had or thought you had. You are not missing him/her necessarily, you are missing how much hope you had in something that was to mean a lot to you, Mom calls it the “loss of the dream” or the pain of “it was not supposed to be like this”. Not the pain of “he/she was so wonderful and now he/she is gone”. Don’t be confused.
5) Know the difference between love and being in love. Make sure you have both when you say “i do” with someone.
6) If one day you say to me “Mom I am gay”, I will say “see you are happy” and I hope you stay that way. Love comes in many forms.
7) If one day you say to me “Mom I am going to have a baby”, and you are on your own, I will say “no one is a “single parent”. It takes a whole family and a village to raise a child. You are as alone as your hand is not willing to reach.
8) That you are as smart as you want to be. If you are not “smart” in one way, learn what ways you are smart. We all have genius in us. It is just a matter of where that genius lies.
9) Learn what makes you tick. What makes you do and think what you do and think. Figure out if that brings you joy in life or problems. If it is problems learn how to act and think differently. A person who truly knows themselves is the wisest creature on earth. Sadly many people go to the grave never really knowing themselves or why things turned out the way they did. What a sad journey their life must have been.
10) There is nothing wrong with going through life single. A single person with the right mind and attitude can do the greatness of many. Just love that single person inside to death and you will never be alone. Happiness in being yourself is the best company of all.
Hugs, Blunt Betty
Betty Jean Matthews B.A.A. S.S.W., is the Founder of Stuck in the Mud Animal Rescue. She is a mother, an author, an entrepreneur, social service worker, and an advocate for a wide variety of causes. She and her daughters have been featured in Woman’s World Magazine, international news media, The Toronto Star, The Globe and Mail, CTV News, CBC and Global News as well as other local newspapers, television and radio stations including various social media, for their contributions to animal welfare and community involvement. Betty Jean writes a column under the name “Blunt Betty” which is featured on Social Media Morning She lives near Ottawa Ontario with her two daughters. You can write to Betty Jean by clicking here
Feature Photo Credit appliedalliance.wordpresscom